Pages

Monday, 4 July 2016

A quick face and water soluble/mixable oil paints experiment

Good day all 
and a special Happy 4th Of July to all my US friends

At 'Show your face' over at Kim Dellows  the theme this month is a 'Quick draw' of our face art. For mine I used a few oil pastels and opted to see what I could achieve in 6 minutes which was 2 turns of the egg timer.
It's amazing just how quick the time goes when you don't want it to.


  
A few days ago I mentioned that when I got some new acrylic paints, that Dave also had some water soluble/mixable oil paints and I was asked about them...
Having no experience of oil paints myself, and Dave hadn't painted for a good 20 years or so, I decided to have a play and experiment  to see what they were like. I was always put off in the past by the lingering smell of normal oil paints and the fact the paint took ages and ages to dry properly.   

 I tried 3 brands of water soluble oil paints: Cobra, Artisan and Georgian - they all have a slight smell but nothing as bad as normal oil paints but I still didn't really like that. (I have a bit of a sensitive nose and throat so I should have guessed they would affect me).
I did start a painting (not finished and not shown here) and I quite like the way the paints mixed and blended on the canvas, but as time went on I was more and more aware of the smell. However Dave is smitten with them and the smell not so noticeable to him.
 
Drying times are something like 5-8 days - I'm impatient so that's too long for me. I didn't have any of the proper fast drying mediums (which I believe also have an odour) for these type of paints, which halve the time, so instead I played around with some acrylic mediums I have to see what would happen.

 
1. Daler Rowney acrylic matt medium. Mixed nicely into a creamy consistency.

2. Daler Rowney flow enhancer. Mixed up a bit bubbly - but I like how it dried.

3. Galeria matt medium. A thinner medium than the Daler Rowney.

4. Galeria gloss medium. Appeared more like a glaze.

5. Walnut oil. Not fast drying of course but I'd read it could be used as an extender.

6. Galeria fluid retarder, slightly slower drying but nice finish.

Then I remembered that some colours take longer to dry than others because of their pigment so I then tried a colour which I believe is one of the slower drying ones and tried the experiment again.
Mixing proportions of paint to medium about (about 50/50).


7. Georgian - Crimson alizarin hue - neat.

8. Georgian - Crimson alizarin hue with Daler Rowney flow enhancer

9. Georgian - Crimson alizarin hue with Daler Rowney acrylic matt medium

10. Georgian - Crimson alizarin hue with Galeria matt medium

11. Georgian - Crimson alizarin hue with Galeria fluid retarde.

The matt and gloss mediums dried the same day.
Other than the walnut oil the rest dried in a few days. Some have a slight tacky feel to surface and in parts slightly shiny. I think the Galeria matt medium was my favourite, however I don't think I'll be taking up any kind of oil painting any time soon.



While I was playing, Dave was busy painting and obviously by the many changes not happy with what he was doing..... maybe it'll turn into a seascape next!
But one way or another he will definitely be carrying on with the water mixable oil paints but hopefully not any where near me!






Thanks for stopping by
Have a great day
Gill xx

3 comments:

  1. Nice work from you both, it's hard to get a face done in 6 minutes. I limit myself to 20 mins for a double spread in my journal and it is not easy! Have fun day, and keep experimenting. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 6 minute face turned out super in my mind! Thanks a lot for all the details and experimenting ! Hmmm--- I don't know if I will try them out - maybe ?!
    Dave's painting looks very good!
    oxo
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the face Gill although I'm probably still lining up the eyes at that 6 minute point! Love Daves painting too,looks like a Bob Ross one :)
    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment x